Stove-top devices will help reduce common cause of apartment fires

Staff Writer
Nevada Journal
Stove-top devices will help reduce common cause of apartment fires

On Nov. 7, the Nevada Rotary Club and the Nevada Fire Department partnered to install stove-top fire stop suppression devices in two major apartment complexes in Nevada. Apartments at 825 T Ave. and 919 Sixth St. have both experienced significant fires as a result of unattended cooking.

The Nevada Rotary Club applied for a Rotary District Community Improvement Grant. Both the Rotary Club and the Nevada Fire Department contributed matching funds and labor to purchase and install 130 stove-top fire stop devices.

Unattended cooking fires remain the number-one cause of fires in our state and in Nevada, so these partnerships benefit the community and will undoubtedly have the potential to save lives. The stove-top fire stop unit will quickly extinguish stove-top fires by discharging a dry power agent over the stove when a fire is detected.

Nevada Fire Official Jeff Stensland oversaw the project and worked to line up logistics of the installation.