The Colo, Nevada and Maxwell fire departments were dispatched to a structure fire at approximately 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning (Feb. 9).


The fire was occurring southwest of Colo at 67677 250th St. (near Hickory Grove Lake), lot 7, for a trailer fire.


Colo Fire Chief Dennis Clatt said that dispatchers stated in their report that all occupants were out of the residence, and that was very important. “When the first unit arrived from Colo, the flames were already shooting out of the windows and had burnt through parts of the walls,” he said.


Clatt said the resident was alerted to the fire when she saw smoke and heard a crackling noise in the hallway. “She and a neighbor were able to get her pets and her to safety before calling 911.”


Clatt said the fire crews battled the flames and cold temperatures for about three hours. “Cold temperatures hampered the efforts of the firefighters in trying to keep air packs and bunker gear from freezing,” he noted.


Red Cross is assisting the homeowners. No other properties were affected in the fire, but the home on lot 7 is considered a total loss.


Clatt said the three neighboring fire departments “worked very well together in the extreme conditions.”