A house fire consumed the house at the corner of Fifth Street and H Avenue in Nevada Tuesday evening. As a result of the fire, the family dog, a small rat terrier, died of smoke inhalation. According to Public Safety Director Ric Martinez, police officers opened the front door to the house and yelled for the dog, but the pet would not come to them, and the house was “way too filled with fire” at the time. Once they did find the dog, firefighters tried to do CPR on the dog, but had no luck. According to a Story County Sheriff’s deputy at the scene, one person was home at the time, and wasn’t injured. Later in the evening, Nevada Fire was called to another big two-structure fire northwest of Nevada. See photo inside B section. Photo by Lyn Keren/Special to the Journal ... Reporting Also by Marlys Barker