School buildings in the Collins-Maxwell School District were on lockdown for several hours the morning of Feb. 17 after officials say a parent threatened staff members at the elementary, middle and high schools.

According to Story County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Nick Lennie, 45-year-old Ortan Haywood, of Maxwell, was taken into custody in Dallas County, where he is employed, after making the threats earlier in the day. Lennie said Haywood was arrested on outstanding warrants from Story County and on out-of-state warrants. A check of online court records showed those warrants were from Texas.

Collins Maxwell Middle/High School Principal Jordan Nelson said the district locked down its buildings at 8:30 a.m., after a parent, later identified by authorities as Haywood, made separate threats to four staff members. Nelson — who was one of the staff members threatened — said the parent threatened a bus driver; threatened a staff member over the phone at the combined middle school and high school; confronted Nelson in person at the school; and then drove to the elementary school where he is accused of threatening a staff member there.

Nelson declined to describe the nature of the threats. Lennie said he didn’t know the specifics of the threats Haywood is accused of making.

Law enforcement were on school grounds throughout the lockdown, which was lifted shortly before 12:30 p.m.

Nelson said the district was advised by the Story County Sheriff’s Office to go into lock-down as a precaution.

In an email response sent before the lockdown was lifted, one parent, Kim Heidemann, who has a child in first-grade in the district, called Wednesday’s events "frightening," but said she was confident the district was keeping students and staff safe.

"I trust the CM administrators and staff 110 percent that they will do whatever they need to do to keep my child (and all the children) safe. I absolutely trust them," Heidemann wrote in the email.

According to Lennie, no charges had been filed as of late Wednesday in connection with the threats, and the investigation is continuing.