McFarland Clinic now has seasonal flu vaccinations available for patients. This year’s vaccination will protect people from two influenza A viruses and two influenza B viruses.
Flu season can be very unpredictable and can vary from season to season. Seasonal flu activity can begin as early as October and can continue as late as May. The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that can cause serious harm to children and older adults. Symptoms which include fever, cough, sore throat, muscle or body aches and fatigue can range from mild to severe.
Even healthy people can get very sick from the flu and spread it to others. Getting vaccinated early is the best way to decrease the chance of catching influenza.
Everyone ages six months and older should receive a flu vaccination. Getting a vaccination is very important for certain people at high risk, including:
· Children younger than 5 but especially younger than 2
· Adults 65 years of age or older
· Pregnant women
· People with chronic medical conditions
Flu clinics will be held in the Nevada Family Medicine Office on:
· Tuesday, Oct. 1 - 1-4:30 p.m.
· Thursday, Oct. 3, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Thursday, Oct. 10, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Tuesday, Oct. 22, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Thursday, Oct. 24, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Tuesday, Oct. 29, 1-4:30 p.m.
· Thursday, Oct. 31, 1-4:30 p.m.