Fire caused damage to a house owned by Chris and Tami Ritter in Fernald on the afternoon of May 29.

The couple and their two teenage boys were not at home when the fire broke out. No one was injured, and the family’s beagle, Lillie, was saved.

"She’s definitely our life," Tami Ritter said of the family pet. "She’s very spoiled, so that was our biggest concern - getting her out. "

The cause had yet to be determined as of this Monday. Tami said the family had no guesses as to the cause, and said the fire marshal should be contacting them with information soon.

Tami said the woman who delivers mail reported seeing smoke, and added, "We really want to thank her."

The fire was contained to a small portion of the basement while the main floor and upstairs of the house sustained smoke damage, said Nevada Fire Chief Dana Wipperman. He said a pool table and storage boxes were damaged.

He estimated the damages to be less than $10,000.

"They’ll have to wash all their clothes, probably steam-clean furniture and stuff; there was no fire above the basement, just smoke," Wipperman said.

Tami said the family was pleasantly surprised by the reaction they have received.

"The community has just been outstanding. Everybody’s been really great," Tami said. "We are very thankful for everything that everyone’s done for us. We want to say a huge thanks for all the support."

The family is staying in Nevada with relatives until an electrician deems the house safe enough to turn the electricity back on, Tami said.

The fire was reported at approximately 2:30 p.m. and the McCallsburg and Colo fire departments responded, as well as Nevada Fire and Rescue. Wipperman said a total of 24 EMS providers and firefighters reported to the scene.