• Holly Coogler, of Nevada, was named to the dean’s list for the spring 2018 semester at Buena Vista University. Students named to the dean’s list must have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 for the semester.
• Brandon Fitch of Nevada recently graduated with a Master of Science in Education degree from Buena Vista University.
• Katelyn Khounsrourath, a student at Nevada High School, recently competed in the National History Day Contest, held at the University of Maryland, College Park in the Washington, D.C. area, June 10-14. She was awarded a National History Day Special Award in Asian-American History for her paper on the death of Vincent Chin.
The 2018 theme for the contest was Conflict & Compromise in History. Khounsrourath joined more than half a million students globally who completed projects in one of five categories: documentary, exhibit, paper, performance, or website.
• New alumni were added to the roster of graduates of the University of Northern Iowa. The following Nevada area students were among the graduates: Sadie Backoff, Bachelor of Arts, elementary education; Kyle Chaska, Bachelor of Arts, biology, communication disorders; Kyle Coogler, Bachelor of Arts, communication/public relations; Ethan Lund, Bachelor of Science, construction management; Chandler Martin, Bachelor of Arts, finance: personal wealth management, real estate
• The following area students were named to the spring 2018 semester dean’s list at the University of Northern Iowa:
Nevada: Dana Ackerman, Kati Cassabaum, Kyle Chaska, Kelsey Haley, Katie Heiden, Ethan Lund, Alex Merfeld, Baylee Milam, Raegan Saunders, Rhea Strong, Bennett Thompson, Abigail Tupper
Zearing: Trisha Knott
To be included on the list, a student must have earned a GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
• Allison West, University of Iowa student from Nevada, was named to the university’s president’s list for the spring 2018 semester. In order to be included on the list, a student must have a minimum 4.0 grade point average in all academic subjects for the preceding two semesters, with a total of at least 12 semester hours of credit per semester during that period.
• Nevada students named to the University of Iowa spring 2018 dean’s list include: Brandon DeGroot, Amaris Hornbuckle, Madison Merfeld, Alexander Peebles, Alyssa Schaeffer, Caroline Wagner and Allison West.
• Spring 2018 University of Iowa graduates are: Patrick Stephenson, Nevada, BA in cinema and a BA in psychology; Nolan Toot, Nevada, MBA, Professional MBA Program with Distinction and Kayla Baker, Zearing, BS in therapeutic recreation and a CER in disability studies.