Lucy Martin, Story County auditor and commissioner of elections, announces absentee voting for the upcoming primary election begins on May 7.
• The first day to cast an absentee ballot in the auditor’s office is Monday, May 7.
• May 7 is also the first day absentee ballots will be sent by mail to voters who submitted requests.
• The deadline to request a mailed absentee ballot is Friday, May 25, at 5 p.m.
• The last day to vote absentee in person is Monday, June 4.
• The auditor’s office is open Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The auditor’s office will be open on Saturday, June 2 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The primary election will be held on June 5.
Voters must declare a party to vote in a primary election. The three recognized parties in Iowa are the Democratic, Libertarian and Republican parties. When voting absentee, the voter declares a party by checking the box next to the party of choice. If you change parties via your absentee ballot request, your voter record will be updated and you will receive a new confirmation of registration.
New in 2018: required information on the request for absentee ballot includes the voter’s Iowa driver’s license/non-operator ID number or 4-digit PIN from the voter’s registration confirmation card. Only registered voters who lack an Iowa driver’s license or non-operator ID receive a PIN card.
Detailed information about the upcoming Primary Election, including sample ballots for all precincts, is available at www.storycountyiowa.gov/elections
Contact the auditor’s office at 515-382-7210 with any questions about absentee voting, voter registration or other election topics.